Saturday, July 21, 2012

Lake Michigan or bust!

With temperatures in the 90s early last week, I decided the kids and I should head to a "real" beach without lots of weeds. Thankfully, I had the foresight to look at how far away Lake Michigan is and decided it would be a better trip to make with Brian.

Today, we headed over to Point Beach State Forest, right near Two Rivers, Wisconsin, but we found out that the beach was closed due to E. Coli. Owen started having a breakdown, leading to me having a bit of a breakdown (especially since our "GPS" from our phones kept saying "no service" meaning we were going on a hope and a prayer that we would find a beach nearby that was open). Lo and behold, Two Rivers has a free, humungous city beach right off of the same highway as the state forest.

We all had a blast. It was just cloudy enough that we weren't too hot, and we got there before too many crowds arrived. We will most definitely go back. When asked what they thought of it, Eli said he really liked it and Braedy said it was "fantastic." I guess we can't ask for a greater review than that.

Here's Owen, demolishing one of the boys' many sand castles. We started off saying, "Owen, don't throw sand" and quickly changed our admonishment to a directive: "Owen, throw the sand in the water, not on people." Turns out, that was way more effective.











Here are Brian and Eli making dinosaur faces.
















My two more cooperative boys (for this picture, at least).












I have no idea what this was all about. First, he stuck his head into a hole he dug, and then he tried to drink the water. Hopefully they were right about the absence of E. Coli.






2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great time. How interesting that one beach is closed for e-coli and another not far away is safe. I wonder what caused the problem.
    Amor, Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, do seek out the great beaches of Lake Michigan! The UP and Michigan have an unfair portion, but still, ours are great for kids! And yes, they're having fun! I can tell from the photos!

    ReplyDelete